God’s Still Workin on Me
Posted on 02/02/2011
by Delores Liesner
Whew! Made it through the first month of 2011 – using NO credit! It was not easy. Kind of like when the power goes out and you don’t realize how dependent you have become on outside sources… couldn’t heat up lunch, couldn’t open the garage door, couldn’t make hot tea, couldn’t see to read…
With the credit card, couldn’t order the usual things I’d done before – natural household goods, a tempting book, a class, a nice office chair I had to sit in when I went shopping with a friend, a bicycle trainer (set in the bike and train in the house during our fun blizzards), and well, you get the picture. The thing is I didn’t get any of those things, and I’m still living (smile) and doing fine.
And – either a first time – or first time in a long while – I had a couple of bucks left when the month ended! I think I’ll stash my one dollar bills in the bank and see if I can add to them next month.
So how did I entertain myself with all the time remaining from NOT shopping?
- Got an E-book almost finished (a graphic artist friend is designing the cover and page illustrations).
- Found two new magazine submission sites, got one article accepted at one and am working on another.
- Read 8 books and reviewed two others.
- Sent in 4 devotionals, an article and a column.
- Posted read books on paperbackswap and sent out 4 of them
- Prepared envelopes for pictures to send to family and friends (now for the note that goes with them…maybe YOU have been selected to receive…)
- Cleaned out the kitchen cupboard of all those recipes I tear out of magazines and print from online, intending to use. They are now being sorted into test, share and toss piles. Just found a request on RacineFreecycle for cookbooks. Yea. Think I’ll contact her and get rid of a few of those.
- Researched at a medical library – it was so much fun it was almost like sneaking chocolate. I love researching natural, alternative and integrative health topics.
- Rearranged the living room.
- Finished three Bible Study chapters
- Fed my husband who can never see anything in the refrigerator (personally think it is a fake excuse to get me next to him in the kitchen)
- Took a few dancing lessons, practiced what we learned
- Shopped with two girlfriends and watched them spend their money.
- Cleaned and rearranged four cupboards in the kitchen – hubby made extra shelf for one, so things are better organized
- Got rid of four bags of clothing and household items
- Finished David’s tract and got them printed
- Tested several new recipes: Beets in orange sauce – delicious, Homemade Cracker Jacks – surprisingly close to the real thing, Greek Quesadillas – hubby is hooked on them – sauteed chicken in avocado oil and orange-mango juice – mmmm only very slight sweet tang with juicy tender chicken. Served over rice noodles and chicken sauce. Figured out how to make creamy raspberry vinegrette dressing
Three more months to pay off one bill, then the rest of the year to complete another. That will be a celebration for sure.
Did you know 45% of those who made New Year’s resolutions have given up already? Praise the Lord, I’ve made it this far. God’s still workin’ on me and I appreciate your prayers and encouragement as I reach toward the goal of living without two big bills. It WILL be worth it all. It will.
Phil. 3:14 I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. – Translation from The Message of this familiar verse about the ultimate goal:
Phil. 3:14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (NASB)
I have the same resolution. Have been on consumer debt program since last March and finally have one whole bill paid of and taken off of the list.One more in the works this month and when we get out taxes going to pay off 14! Yep, you heard that right 14! The will only have 4 big ones left. Those will be int he works the rest of the year and more. This will be a big step though. Went from 20 to 4 in about a year. Not bad. Keep up the good work.
GOOD FOR YOU! I’m happy you’ve stuck to your resolution. I’ve kept to mine too. I’ll keep praying for you! Blessings my friend!